Sunday, March 20, 2016

Self-care and the Christian

I often remember back to an experience we had in a previous church where Nathan worked. Near the end of our time there, we were given an opportunity to seek healing and receive some intentional pouring into our lives. During this time, Nathan was needing to find other employment for a period of time. Part of the church's offering to us was the offer of their help to find Nathan a job. We felt this was a generous and caring offer but nothing ever came of it. Nathan did end up finding a job fairly quickly, but with no movement from the church. When we expressed our frustration to someone (outside our church) who we were talking with, his response was "Did Nathan find a job? Then I guess you didn't need their help." That response has always stuck with me. I felt put in my place. But when we offer to help someone, are we only obligated to actually follow through on giving that help if they can't do it themselves? It's one thing if the offer is to help if help is needed but I specifically remember the offer from our church being unconditional. When I offer someone help, I give help whether or not they can manage on their own. Help is given for love's sake, not necessarily out of necessity.

I have recently started thinking about how this applies to our relationship with God. God offers to help us. So how much should we rely on that help? Should we ask for His help in everything, regardless of whether we can do it on our own? Or should we try to make it on our own and only ask for the offered help if we find we can't manage? Should I be taking steps to greater personal health (healthy routine, stillness, self-care) before crying out to God? How self-reliant should I be? How dependent should I be?

(a few hours later)
I've been thinking lately about how I, as a pastor's wife, can make the most of the sabbatical time that is coming later this year. It would seem a shame for Nathan to be refreshed spiritually/physically/emotionally and not be able to be refreshed as a couple/family at the same time. So, to look for ideas of how to join in the sabbatical, I googled "sabbatical for pastor's wife." I came across a blog post titled "The Introverted Pastor's Wife." It wasn't about sabbatical, but it was a good read. In her post, the author talks about how she has learned how to care for herself and find balance in the "pastor's wife" role. Once I was done reading, I kept scrolling through the comments section. After a few positive comments, there were a few that weren't so supportive. One commenter in particular seemed to be quite against the post. She called the terms "introvert" and "extrovert" merely popular psychology and something to be avoided entirely. She said that God created us to have the sole identity of "children of God" and anything else should not define us (we shouldn't identify as either intro/extroverted because God didn't make us like that). She said that if we are looking to anything but Jesus for rest (time alone or with people should not be sought out specifically as a source of rest), that it is sinful and we need to repent. She basically seemed to have the mindset that we need to give of ourselves for Jesus with no concern for our personal well-being (because Jesus is all we need and provides for all our needs). And while I agree in part, I couldn't help but be reminded of what I had just written here a couple hours earlier!

So where on earth does that leave things?? Should I not pursue anything that is life-giving? Does my being refreshed in stillness/alone-ness mean nothing? Should I say yes to every opportunity with no thought to my sanity? Does God not create different people with different personalities and passions for a reason? And didn't Jesus himself withdraw to spend time with the Father without anyone else present?

Lord, what do You expect of me? What standard do You hold me to? Do You have different expectations in different cultures (this commenter and the women she was representing are from the UK)?

Is it wrong of me to say no to some ministry opportunities and choose to be involved in the ones that I feel like I can pour myself into wholeheartedly or the ones that I feel God nudging me into, perhaps despite my comfort zone? Is it missing the goal to try to feel refreshed spiritually instead of "dying to self" every day? What is dying to self? Does it mean feeling worn down and tired and continuing to push because God will provide what you need/be your rest? Or does it mean that we leave behind our earthly desires and take up God's desires for the world as our own? I think, perhaps, it's the latter...

So that brings us back around to self-care. Is self-care wrong? Is self-care just us not trusting in God-care? How much should we be relying on God for help and how much should we take responsibility for our well-being? Can you rely on God fully while still practicing self-care?

Please weigh in. I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I'm obviously still working through this myself but would love some other thoughts on it to keep me thinking! What is self-care to you? What does it mean to you to rely on God as your rest/source?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this post has me a-pondering. I am drawn towards two things: "Be still, and know I am God," and just by the pure number of times that Jesus went away to be by himself, and pray. If the God of the universe needed that time to be alone, I think it is acceptable for us to pay special attention to the stillness that we should need for rejuvenation and to hear from the Lord. Sometimes I think ( like that one lady that commented) that people do not give credit to others who need retreat from the "ministry grind" because of their own guilt and leniency on works-based faith.
    That being said, I find it soooo hard to find times away from the kids where I can be intentionally quiet for the sole purpose of praying and focusing on Gods love for me. Perhaps that is why I am so drained as of late, and that I have even less patience for things/people outside of my family.
    I think it is interesting to see how our body is effected by how our soul feels. If our soul is downcast, the body feels it--overtired or not being able to sleep, not wanting to eat/eating too much. These are all just clues I think that God put in us to connect to ourselves and ultimately to Him. It's like a neon light that says,"stop worrying and focus on my love for you."
    Eh, I don't know Niki, there's so much more! I suppose, if one is feeling depleted, it's a good sign that it is time to retreat to that quiet place (as a couple, family, individual) and just focus on His love. (I was going to say focus on his will, but I find that to be overwhelming sometimes, so love seems to be all encompassing of what his will is, right!?☺️)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts to mull over, Niki. :) I think self-care is one of those things, like so many other good things, that is very necessary, and yet can also be abused and become self-indulgent. I know for myself that if I'm running ragged, my capacity to listen and notice others concerns is greatly diminished. I'm so wrapped up in just scratching my way through the day that even when I do notice something or feel prompting, my response might be "I just don't have time right now" or "I just can't take on anything else right now". Now is this "right" or am I just not relying on God's provision enough? I'm not totally sure..but I do know that God put time to rest into the very order of creation. And like you said, Jesus took regular time away to be alone with his Father. How each of us rests is going to look different, since we are individuals. We are *different* parts of the body, and some of us will find joy serving in one area and others will prefer and have strengths in another area..that is the beauty of the body! We don't all have to fill the same roles. (as far as "taking every opportunity" goes - my answer is "no")

    My view is that it just comes down to balance. We can't always be in our comfort zone to serve others, and so I know that if I'm not often feeling stretched or growing through my actions then I am probably ignoring some of what God desires me to be doing. There are going to be seasons where we are stretched thin, and those can still be times of great growth in our faith and times of refining..even if we *felt* like it was "too much" at the time. I think if you stay in the Word and don't neglect prayer, ask God for wisdom and for opportunities for refreshment, I think His Spirit will prompt you and prod you when there are opportunities you need to be putting yourself out there for. And that there will be peace (deep peace) found in the quiet times where you rest. One of my very favorite passages is Matthew 11:28-30, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Ahhh..I love that..it gives me happy, grateful tears. "you will find rest for your souls", NOT, "you will find more business and ways that you are failing and falling short". Don't get discouraged by whatever you are hearing or reading outside of God's Word. The fellowship of believers is so important, but *truth* comes from Him, not from the opinions of the world.

    I really affirm what Jodie and Angela said as well. Praying that you guys have a wonderful time of resting and refreshment this summer. My mind went immediately to Hebrews 12:1-3 when I saw this post. Keep running the race marked out for you..that doesn't mean there aren't rest stops and 'green pastures' and 'still waters' along the way. :) - Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops... *busyness* not *business*. ;)

    ReplyDelete