Monday, June 1, 2015

A little time alone.

Today Nathan needed to head to Regina so he decided to take the kids along for a little "daddy-kid adventure" leaving me with a few hours by myself. This doesn't happen very often. Maybe once every 6-12 months I get a few daytime hours at home by myself? It's lovely. I usually panic about what the best use of my time is. Do I nap? Do I try be productive? Do I dive into something I enjoy and enjoy doing it with no interruptions? Do I try to organize life so it will be that much easier when everyone gets home again? Today I opted for a little of everything! I started out gardening. I planted out a couple house plants to make even the tiniest amount of extra space on my counter (which is full of house plants right now thanks to renos). Then I started a load of laundry...baby clothes and blankets! Hmm...the question that has you all wondering is whether I've dug out the baby BOY clothes or the baby GIRL clothes! Time will tell, my friends. Time will tell. Little baby McCorkindale should be here within a month :) While waiting for the load of laundry to finish, I laid down in bed. I didn't plan to nap but oh, I did! You wouldn't believe how I wrestled with myself about that one! Not so much the fact that I was napping, but my mind and body kept saying "get up! You need to switch laundry so that you can be done before everyone is home! It's 3pm, you need to get Kayden up from her nap! You really shouldn't sleep away your whole afternoon!" But I pushed that voice down and snuggled deeper into my oh-so-cozy bed for just a bit longer. And a bit longer. Amazing, people. Amazing. As I'm laying here, though, being utterly lazy and feeling my hips and ribs turn numb because I haven't turned over in an hour, I'm realizing that this stage of life where I constantly have little ones needing my attention is going to be so short-lived!  I've been in this high demand stage for almost 5 years now but in another 5 years I might be almost out of it! I might be looking at sending my youngest to kindergarten and having every second day to myself! And then the year after that, every day! And life will never be like this again. They just won't need me the same way. And I won't have the constant company around the house. As exhausting as it can be... I'm going to miss it! Sure, our house might be cleaner. (Yes, I said "might!") I will be more rested. I will have more time to do the things I enjoy without being interrupted at every turn. But...but...will this time with my babes at home really be over?? Does it really fly by that quickly? Wow. What a ride this parenting thing is. I'm so thankful for these quiet moments every few months to remember to enjoy this time with my kids at home every day. It's such a short and unique time. I take it for granted and feel like it will last forever but it won't! Man, I need to hug those kids more, before they just push me away and run on to the next thing. Oh wait, that's already happening... :) shoot. Just stay my babies for a little while longer!

3 comments:

  1. It IS hard to believe how fast stages of our lives can fly by. I'm sure at times it can feel like it never ends. My situation is obviously different, but I can relate to the feeling of a life situation never changing or ending. Thanks for the reminder that life goes on, and before we know it, this stage may be over! - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's that saying? The days are long and the years are short :).

    I wrote a little response that basically echoed your sentiments here, then I nudged my mouse accidentally and navigated away from your page and the thoughts are all gone... too tired to re-type them, but to summarize: YES. I get it.

    Also, so excited for Baby Mccorkindale #3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is crazy how fast things change! Love your posts Niki, and looking forward to news of your new addition joining you guys! Praying all goes well! - Cheryl T

    ReplyDelete