Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Quilts!

I've finally finished the kids' baby blanket quilts! Kayden was attached to her flannel receiving blankets and I was tired of it (cause they were being dragged all over the house) so I finally decided to make her blankets into a quilt. A quilt that would stay in her bed at all times. And wen Levi saw Kayden's, naturally he wanted one too. So I dug up his old receiving blankets and made him a quilt too. I did most of the stitching back in summer and the kids have been using them. I had a hard time finding the right colour for Kayden's binding but I finally got my hands on a pink fabric that was close enough and finished the binding today! It was the cutest...she was sitting on my lap while I was sewing and kept putting her head down on the blanket while I was stitching, rubbing her face in it and saying "soft." I blame the parts of the binding that aren't completely stitched down on that pulling and tugging... yeah, right. I'm usually just not careful enough the first time around when I sew and end up having to fix and redo. Oh well. The odd time it works out the first time, I do it in less time because I cut corners ;) Worth the extra work every other time? Probably not. Sigh. 

Levi's quilt. 

Kayden's quilt. 

These are beautifully heavy quilts. I bought nice, dense blankets from mcc for the insides. I bleached them and washed them and it was perfect "stuffing" to make the nice and warm and heavy. Now I want one...!

2 comments:

  1. Good job Niki! Hmm, interesting, I've never used actual blankets for the batting inside! But the batting you can buy is usually quite light which I don't always like..I guess one problem, since I machine quilt it, is that a heavy blanket is a lot for the machine to needle through. Still though...neat! Also, great idea putting all those receiving blankets together like that! - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki! I wish I had endless resources to make you make my kids' blankets. Those are awesome. Lucky kids over there!

    ReplyDelete